Saturday, October 8, 2011

Culture

Culture is a very important aspect of life and it impacts our family. I was born in Utah but was raised all my life in Rexburg Idaho. So it is probably safe to say that I lived in a somewhat sheltered place. This is due to the fact that my family is LDS and Rexburg is predominantly a LDS community. I was raised a LDS person in a LDS culture.
It wasn't until my mission in St. Louis Missouri that I got a glimpse at what the rest of the people in United States considered normal. Even as a missionary, my eyes were opened to many things that were in that culture that weren't in mine and vice-versa. Seeing this helped me to understand the culture that I was brought up in. To better know one's own culture, one needs to get an outside perspective and also see other cultures.
I am now a parent and have one son so far. I feel that it could greatly benefit my children as they grow up to gain this understanding of their own culture by learning about and witnessing other cultures. There are somethings that in other cultures that we can adopt and apply in our own family culture and somethings that we must stay far away from.

No comments:

Post a Comment