Saturday, October 1, 2011

Unspoken Rules

Every family has rules whether they are written down or not. After we had our discussion in class about rules, I feel that most rules in homes are learned from stepping outside of what mom and dad feel the boundaries are. Once we have done that, we are quickly corrected. After experiencing this time and again, we learn what is appropriate.
When we get married, we have to mesh our rules that we, as individuals, grew up by. For example, my wife grew up in a home that when you enter the house you take your shoes off. In my home it was OK if you didn't take your shoes off upon entering (unless of course they were muddy or extremely dirty). After my wife and I got married, I learned that when I came in our home and didn't take off my shoes she would get frustrated with me. She's told me that in order to keep our carpet nice and minimize the amount that we have to vacuum, we need to take our shoes off in the house. I've had a hard time with this rule because I grew up differently. Also, I felt that if my shoes were pretty clean there was no need to take them off. However, she has been persistent in kindly reminding me whenever she catches me with my shoes on in the home. All she has to do to remind me is give the look and direct her eyes toward my shoes and I know. I've begun to make a habit of taking my shoes off at the door. Not only because we have a kid that can walk now and I know that his shoes are going to make a mess if worn in the home, but also because I LOVE MY WIFE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment